How to Pray
Christians have an important role to play in helping to end modern-day slavery. We believe the most powerful weapon of warfare is prayer and although there is diversity in our faith and in how we live it out, we are all united in the common belief that stealing another person's destiny is an evil that must be opposed in both word and deed. Together as a body of believers united in prayer -we can do significant things to bring about change. As EFN partners across Europe, we unite in prayer as we prepare for Freedom Sunday (16 October) and the EU Anti-Trafficking Day (18 October). As we pray now, may the Lord prepare the way so that the eyes of the Church, society and politicians are opened to the evils of trafficking!
Here are some prayer points and a written prayer to help you.
Prepare your heart and minds
- Pray for understanding, knowledge, wisdom and compassion.
- “May the Lord direct your hearts to the Love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ” - 2 Thessalonians 3:5 EVS
- Is 42:2 . Joel 3:3 . Is 10:2 . James 1:15
Pray for Victims
- Pray for strength, protection, freedom, justice, hope, healing and salvation,
- “For the Son of Man came to seek & save the lost” - Luke 19:10 ESV
- Ps 138:7 . Is 40:29 . Jer 29:11 . Ps 146:7 . Is 58:6
Pray for Governments
- Pray for world leaders to acknowledge the problem, for corruption to cease and for strong, fair legislation to be implemented.
- “You came down on Mount Sinai and spoke with them from heaven and gave them right rules & true laws, good statues & commandments" - Nehemiah 9:13 ESV
- Du 16:9 . Amos 5:12 . Pro 8:15 . Is 58:6
Pray for Demand to End
- Pray for traffickers and networks to be dismantled and for all captives to be set free.
- “Correcting His opponents with gentleness God may perhaps grant them repentance in leading to a knowledge of truth” - 2 Timothy 2:25 ESV
- Am 5:15a . Ps 37:20 . Rom 5:5-8 . Is 55:7
Pray for Global Awareness
- Pray for strength, protection, freedom, justice, hope, healing and salvation.
- “Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed or hidden that will not be known” - Luke 12:2 ESV
- Ps 25:4 . Eph 5:13 . Matt 4:22 . James 2:16-17 . Is 58:6
Pray for the Church
- Pray for the Church to awaken to the problem of human trafficking and for advocates to unite against injustice.
- “… on this rock I will build my church & the gates of hell shall not prevail” - Matthew 16:18 ESV
- Is 60:1-2 . Ps 133 . Jo 17:23 . 1 Pe 2:9-10
Pray for the European Freedom Networks and its partners
- Pray for unified voice, divine wisdom, provision and impact.
- “And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work” - 2 Corinthians 9:8 ESV
- Ps 5:12 . James 1:5 . Pro 4:7 . Luke 2:52
Prayer to Read
Lord, we acknowledge that the foundation of Your Throne is righteousness and justice.
Lord on this Freedom Sunday, we humble ourselves before Your throne of Grace and Mercy and call upon You to intervene in this tragic practice of the slavery of women, children and men. We cry out to You, that justice would prevail.
Lord our heart is for every person who is caught up within the bondage of slavery. We pray against exploitation of every kind whether in sexual exploitation, trafficking for employment, domestic servitude or generational debt, babies who are sold for illegal adoptions and those who are trafficked as part of the migration crisis.
Lord it is Your desire that no one should be under the yoke of slavery. Lord Jesus, you declared that you have come to set the captives free, not only from the sin and death but also from being oppressed by others.
We also pray for the perpetrators of these crimes against others, whether they are traffickers, pimps, those who buy sex or those who watch pornography. Lord, we pray that they would come to an understanding of Your Love, Your Grace and Your Mercy. We pray that they would turn from their evil ways and find release from the bondage of sin and they themselves would be set free to worship you Lord.
Lord as the church we pray that you would also forgive us for not having the courage to speak up against injustice and for our lack of an adequate response. Lord may You embolden us to speak Your Word with Truth and Power, so that the whole world would know and understand that this is an injustice to all people. We pray that You would use us to help establish Your Kingdom on this earth as in heaven, where every person would be able to pursue a life of freedom and dignity.
Have Your way Oh Lord. Set the captives free.
The following Scriptures that may also be used.
- “Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; love and faithfulness go before you.” Psalm 89:14
- "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour." Luke 4: 18 -19
- “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” Galatians 5:1